Much has been said about the use of social media to help grow your email list. However, the solution isn’t as simple as tweeting the link to your followers or posting a message on your Facebook Fan Page wall.
Just like launching an email campaign, which requires you to use a sophisticated email marketing platform that gives access to an easy-to-use landing page creator and data analytics, you will have a craft a social media strategy to boost the number of subscribers in your email list.
In order to achieve this goal, you will need to break down the process of using your social media into these tasks:
- Determine your target audience
- Post the best possible messages promoting the signup form to your email list
- Track and measure performance of your posts
Below are tips and advice on how to use the most popular social media sites to implement these tasks and achieve the goal of growing your list.
To find your target audience, aside from using Twitter’s people search feature, go to Followerwonk a Twitter analytics tool and look for Twitter users according to demographic (name, location, URL, etc.). Download the results in CSV format and follow the users in the spreadsheet.
From here, it is important to build rapport with the users you follower. Retweet and reply to their message to form a relationship with them. This way, once you individually send them links of your landing page with the signup form to your email list, there’s a great chance that they’re actually fill out the form.
Include their Twitter handle on your tweet so they will receive an email notification about your tweet in case they missed it on their feed.
Facebook and Google+
While Facebook has lost much of its luster due to the loss of organic reach by Fan Pages to encourage users to transition to paid ads, it is still nonetheless a very important social media site to optimize for. Instead of posting messages on your page, you can cut through to your target audience by joining Facebook Groups related to your industry. This way, you can send messages to people who may be interested in what you offer in your mailing list.
The same problem of post reach can also describe Google+, but not because of any algorithm updates. Much of the issue with Google+ after all these years is that it is a “ghost town” – most of your target audience may not be using this social media site as much compared to others. However, this is mainly a misconception, especially if you look at Google+ Communities. Join the ones related to your niche and interact with their members to foster a relationship with people there.
Instagram and Pinterest
Both are image sharing sites, so the approach will obviously be different. To start off, you need to create high-quality image that you can share using Instagram and Pinterest.
Even if you’re not a graphic designer, you can use Canva, a simple graphic design software to design the image from the ground up. Canvas, in particular, has design templates in the site so you can just use that and edit the elements using its drag and drop feature.
There are no dedicated, third-party sites to search for users on both sites, so you can just use the built-in search function using your target keywords to find people to follow and interact with. At the same time, post images on your own account to build up your profile. The more you do these, the greater the chances of users to follow you back and share the content you’re posting.
Once you’ve established this, send them a link to the signup form of your email list.
- While there are best times to post on different social media sites, you may need to post your messages ahead of time. For this, you need to create an account on Oktopost, a social media management platform, and schedule all your week’s worth of posts in one fell swoop so you can get that out of the way.
- Creating an email campaign is not a set and forget approach, you need a good provider with effective features to get the most out of your campaign and calculate your ROI. For this, use GetResponse, an email marketing software to creative minimalistic and effective landing pages instantly, as well as managing your email marketing campaign with its AB testing featured and email analytics/intelligence.
- I cannot stress this enough – build real relationships with your target market. You need to get them to trust you in order to them to sign up for your email list at their own behest.